Monday, September 29, 2008

September Birthday Cakes:Keep 'Em Coming


I'm convinced that every person I know was brought into this world during the month of September! It's craaaazy how many close family members and/or friends share the same birthday month. Therefore, September birthday's=lots of celebratory desserts, compliments of me! My very dear friend and colleague celebrated a birthday last week and I insisted he pick his favorite kind of cake....which led me to caramel cake. I made a caramel cake a few weeks ago from a cookbook I bought which was tasty, but I decided to go with Paula Deen's: "Bobby's Caramel Cake" this time to switch it up. If there's one thing Paula Deen knows, it's Southern food. 



This cake was fantastic! I made a few changes pertaining to the filling and the caramel frosting. The recipe calls for 3-9inch layers which I thought would be way too big, so I downsized it to 2-9inch layers and rather than sandwiching the layers with just the caramel filling, I used both the filling and the caramel frosting. One word, heavenly. The buttery yellow caked soaked with caramel filling then paired with caramel frosting really is the quintessential sweet southern cake. Please please please make this..you won't regret it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE =)


1 comment:

Megan said...

I've never made/had caramel cake before, but my mom loves caramel, so I will definitely try this.

Also, I wanted to tell you that your cake came out much nicer looking than Paula's.