Monday, September 22, 2008

Birthday Sheet Cake



This was my first sheet cake! I've always wanted to make a sheet cake and there was no better time than to make it for a very special birthday! I used 2 thin layers of Billy's Vanilla cake baked in large jelly roll pans and filled the cake with chocolate buttercream.  I piped shells all around the top and bottom borders, and because the theme of this cake was "boredom",  I created 2 of the most boring circular sprinkle decorations imaginable. I mean, what the heck are those? Sprinkle balls? Weird.


Anyway, I'm totally hooked on sheet cakes now as they are so much fun to make! For an added fun element, I  baked about 3 dozen mini cuppies topped with chocolate buttercream, sprinkles, and candles and strategically placed them around the perimeter of the cake. The cake was as delicious as it looked...HAPPY BIRTHDAY AL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cake! Great job!

Steph said...

That looks amazing! I can't believe I still haven't made billy's vanilla cake yet and I wanted to since I saw your last post on this a long time ago.