Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Project Birthday Cake Part I

I took on a seriously overwhelming, but so far satisfying project as a challenge to myself and a test to my culinary skills! I plan to take y'all with me step by step. The project is to create a 3 tiered birthday cake for an 8 year old girl that include the pastel colors of yellow, pink, blue, and green. She wants flowers all over the cake as well as a rainbow on the top and chocolate buttercream as the filling. Her father insisted the cake be "busy" with decorations. I began this project last night and the cake is "due" tomorrow. I have such a crazy week this week that I really need to get going! I will assemble the cake later this week!

I will have the following prepared:

Fondant flower cut outs--before veining and cupping


Detailed fondant flowers with royal icing centers


Fondant flowers drying on formers

Next up was the buttercream. I've seriously never seen so much buttercream in my entire life! I just wanted to dive into it. The vanilla will be used to frost the top and outside of the 3 cakes and the chocolate will be used as the filling between the layers.


Tub of Chocolate buttercream


Chocolate and Vanilla tubs of buttercream

Tomorrow I will be assembling the stacked cakes, frosting, decorating, and making the cake "busy". Stay tuned for final pictures tomorrow!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Seriously overwhelming is an understatement. Can't wait to see phase two. They look beautiful.

Steph said...

The flowers are really pretty! I can't wait to see the full assembly. I wanted to try Billy's recipe for the longest time, since every butter cake or white cake recipe is never fluffy enough for me and this recipe has been such highly rated.

Megan said...

I can't wait to see your design. I have a birthday cake due on Saturday - chocolate layers with peanut butter mousse filling. Easy enough - but the decor is killing me. I've no clue what colors to do with chocolate icing. It's for an 86 year old woman. Pink? Blue? Yellow? Argh!!!