Tuesday, August 26, 2008

TWD:Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte

Amy of Food, Family, and Fun picked this week's TWD recipe: Chocolate banded ice cream torte. The no-bake aspect of this recipe really excited me considering I've been doing nothing but baking;, non-stop!  This week I decided to stay true to the recipe, with only one exception; the addition of crushed Oreo's. In my opinion, it is essential to add a crunch factor to any ice cream related dessert, such as chocolate chips, peanuts, sprinkles, etc.  So, I did just that by layering Oreo crumbs atop each ganache layer. 

The torte consisted of raspberry ice cream, chocolate ganache, and crushed Oreo's resulting in a summery, chocolaty, berry-filled treat! The lack of oven/baking time in this recipe was surely made up with waiting time. Even though the recipe said to allow the ganache layer to set for 30 mins, I bumped it up to 45 mins and allocated 25 mins per ice cream layer. Next time I make this I will most definitely use a chocolate-based ice cream flavor without berries...think: chocolate cookie dough ice cream banded torte!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks great! Perfect layers, and I totally agree about the crunch factor. The Oreos were a great call!

Steph said...

That looks fabulous! Your layers held up really nicely. Cookie dough sounds like a great idea.

kimberly salem said...

it looks so good with that chocolate drizzle! great job :)

Engineer Baker said...

Crunch factor indeed - textural contrast is always a good excuse to throw oreos in something.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your torte looks great! The layers are perfect! I made chocolate crunchies for mine too.

Anonymous said...

I love the addition of Oreos! It looks fabulous!

Cristine said...

Yours looks great! I used cookie dough and it was delish!

Anonymous said...

Okay! That's it!! Yours looks way better than mine. LOL You did a great job on that. I'm so jealous.

Anonymous said...

I fully agree! All ice cream should have those crunchies!!!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Oh my! That looks luscious and totally decadent!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Oreo crumbs! Brillent!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'm with you on the crunch - I used Heath bits. Your torte looks snazzy and delish.
Nancy