Monday, August 18, 2008

Banana Cream Pie


I hosted a dinner party on Friday that featured a Soul food/Southern themed menu. Think: fried chicken, baked beans, corn souffle, mac-n-cheese, and meatloaf. Anyway, one of the many desserts I made was Banana Cream pie.  I've always wanted to make this pie but never got around to it. I used the Chocolate Chip Banana Cream pie recipe from one of my new favorite cookbooks, "The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookbook" by Elinor Klivans. The graham cracker crust is filled with mini chocolate chips and the banana filling and whipped cream were a perfect compliment to one another. My favorite part of this pie is the top. While making the graham cracker crust, you set aside 2 cups of crust to be used as a crunchy topping. You do this by shaping the remaining crust into an 8 inch circle which is then baked on a cookie sheet for 6-7 minutes. 



Once cooled, you drizzle chocolate on top and then cut into crunchy little piece to garnish the top of the pie. This fun little detail definitely added uniqueness to the pie. Everyone enjoyed this! I would definitely recommend you try it...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

fyi banana cream pie is my favorite

Shara said...

can you post the recipe for this one?

thanks! :)

Shara said...

can u post the recipe for this one?
thanks! :)