Friday, April 25, 2008

MATZOH BRITTLE

      MATZOH BRITTLE
                     
I realize there are only a few more days left of Passover, but better late than never.  My bosses always keep Passover to the most serious degree and they absolutely love dessert. As they do every year, they expected me to bring in lots of Passover yummies; why should this year be any different? Unfortunately, I had a very busy week and was unable to bake the much anticipated, much talked about, flour less chocolate cake found here. I felt badly that I didn't meet their palate's expectations of Passover dessert, so I decided to make Matzoh brittle last night- a.k.a matzoh "crack". These little chocolate crunchy squares of deliciousness are addicting. I suggest making these on a full stomach!! It's so quick and easy to make and the entire process takes a total of about 20 minutes. Clean up is so simple and 4-6 pieces of matzoh goes a very long way with this recipe. I personally used 6 pieces of matzoh and once I broke them up it filled up an entire 1 gallon bag! Forget Passover, I would make these all year long if I didn't find myself eating so much of it..

DIRECTIONS                                                                
Ingredients:
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 bag chocolate chips (12 oz)
 
Cover cookie sheets with tin foil. Line the sheets with matzoh. To fill in the spaces, I broke pieces of matzoh to fill all the spaces on the cookies sheets. 

In a saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar. Once the mixture comes to a boil add the vanilla. Mixture should bubble. Once it bubbles, remove from heat and pour over matzoh. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (my oven only required 7 minutes) or until edges start to brown. Remove cookie sheets from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top of matzoh. Use a knife to spread chocolate all around. Put cookie sheets in the fridge for about 1 hour and break matzoh up in little pieces once chocolate hardens.  

**Notes**
I went above and beyond and used my more expensive Ghirardelli chocolate chips. You can really taste the difference! I also added tad bit more brown sugar to make it super sweet. As noted above, the brittle was done in about 7 minutes. I think it would have burned if I left it in for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on your brittle. I've also made this brittle without the vanilla extract and it is just as good, so it's a personal preference. 










 

No comments: