Friday, April 18, 2008

PB CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE

CHRIS' PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE
I travel to Florida quite frequently throughout the winter. Being that I went to school for 4 years down in Miami, I have a bunch of friends that are still living down there--not to mention, my parents and entire immediate family live in South Florida.  The Jewish holidays are about to begin (Passover) and I am headed down South for the weekend.  
My friend Chris, from college, often picks me up from the airport for my weekend getaways. However, there is always a catch....he requires me to bring him some sort of baked good each occasion he picks me up.  I figure it's a fair deal so I always comply. In the past, I have baked him brownies, cookies, cashew bars, etc. Knowing how much of a peanut butter lover he is, I decided to bake him a peanut butter chocolate chip pie--RIGHT UP HIS ALLEY! I found this recipe on Bakerella which is originally adapted from Nestle classic recipes. This pie is so easy and it came out beautifully. The crust came out perfectly crunchy and the inside is gooey peanut butter chocolate heaven; no really, trust me. The original recipe calls for just 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips but I  bumped that up to about 8 ounces and also added in an additional 6-7 ounces of peanut butter chips. I had zero control last night and HAD to cut myself a sliver. My excuse: "I wanted to take a picture of a slice of the pie for my blog." I hope he enjoys it--I know I did.

DIRECTIONS: *my changes in red*
2 eggs 
1/2 c. all-purpose flour 
1/2 c. sugar 
1/2 c. finely packed brown sugar 
1 c. butter, melted and cooled 
1 (6 oz.) pkg. (1 c.) Nestle's Toll House semi-sweet chocolate chips 
I used 6 oz semi-sweet chips and 8oz peanut butter chips
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts 
I omitted these
1 (9") unbaked pie shell 

If using frozen pie shell, use only deep dish style and thaw completely. Place on cookie sheet; bake 10 minutes longer. 

Preheat oven to 325°F. In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add flour and both sugars. Beat until well blended, and blend in melted butter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 1 pie.

NOTES: Every one's oven is different. This recipe called for a baking time of 1hr. My pie was done in 50 minutes. The top may start to brown much quicker than the inside, therefore I suggest covering the top with foil for the last 10-12 minutes of bake time.
I think you can add anything to this pie--whatever floats your boat. I.E. Snickers, Butterfingers, Toffee Bits, Toasted Coconut. You can't go wrong with any combination! Also, if I had more time, I think pipping whipped cream around the edges would have been the perfect touch-I'll save that for next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Welcome to Tuesdays With Dorie! Love your blog!

So sorry about your dog - I have 3 of my own so I understand!!

I made this exact pie tonight and it totally flopped - all the chocolate (Ghirardelli) sank to the bottom and it was like all the butter seeped out. Glad to see your pie worked out so well!

Since you like PB wait until you make this weeks selection - it's amazing!!!