Thursday, April 17, 2008

FOOTBALL CAKE



HUT HUT HIKE
 
It was a co-workers birthday today so of course, as always, I'll use any excuse to bake.  It just so happens that this certain co-worker of mine is an ex NFL pro-bowl quarterback; thus creating a football themed birthday cake. This cake was pretty easy. I made the yellow cake inside from scratch using a basic yellow cake recipe found here. I baked it in a football cake pan that I picked up from my local Michael's (clearly my new favorite store). You can order it through the Wilton site as well--found here. Wilton makes these great novelty cake pans--they have every shape you could possibly want. Anyway, once the cake cooled I made chocolate buttercream, however I made it a bit differently.  I used a 1/2 cup of CRISCO and 1/2 cup of butter rather than all CRISCO. The texture came out perfectly as I was able to create those football-like lines throughout.  I still have so much practice to do with my script. I put candles in the cake and it went over fabulously. Enjoy!
    

No comments: