Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sugar Gems



Hmmm...I'm not really sure how I feel about sugar cookies. They are always so bland and not fun. I don't understand the hype. It seems to me that every sugar cookie recipe is relatively the same comprising of, er, sugar, butter (or shortening), eggs, a pinch of salt, flour and vanilla. How, on earth,  could the combination of the aforementioned ingredients excite me? One word, bo-ring. So, when I saw this recipe from My Kitchen Cafe, I figured I'd give it a try. After all, this recipe came with an optional vanilla glaze recipe, which obviously gave me some incentive.  This is the first sugar cookie recipe that I've seen that uses oil. I halved this recipe because, well, I didn't have a need for 4,000 cookies to be floating around my apartment and I really just wanted to taste test. Also, this recipe seemed criminally easy.



The outcome?...These were OK and I'm keeping my stand on this whole sugar cookie phenomenon.  The vanilla glaze was really good but the actual cookie was just lame.  Apparently my co-workers disagreed and thought the cookies were outrageous. Perhaps our taste-buds differ. 

If you feel inclined to make these, I'd love to hear your feedback.

2 comments:

vibi said...

Nah... I'm like you, I have a great deal of trouble figuring out why, year after year they come back to haunt us, around Christmas!
Must be a cookie-cutting-mother-daughter thing, which I've been vaccinated for.
I do admit though, that the ones you've made are pretty cute!

Emily Rose said...

I'm also not a huge fan of sugar cookies- but my sister adores them- so I might try this recipe out for her. They sure did turn out cute though!