Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rainbow Cake



Birthday cakes seem to be my forte. I really enjoy making and creating them, especially for little kids. Erin, who turned 2 last week, celebrated her birthday with this really cool rainbow birthday sheet cake that I made!  The inside was made up of 2 layers of yellow cake which were then filled and topped with a delicious vanilla buttercream.  I tinted the buttercream all different colors to compliment the rainbow, border shells, balloons, and writing.  Overall I'm very pleased with this cake! The feedback from the party was tremendous as everyone loved the cake! Erin's theme was Strawberry Shortcake so I think this cake fit in quite appropriately! The cake fed about 20 people and there was still so much left over that everyone went home with doggie bags! For next time I have to assume that an 11X19 inch double layered sheet cake could easily feed 30+ people!  As if this cake wasn't enough, I thought is would be cute to make some pink and white swirled mini and regular sized cuppies which went on to surround the 4 edges of the cake.  The pink and white swirls fit in perfectly with the Strawberry Shortcake theme and were super fun to make. Here are a few pictures:

mini swirl cuppie


birds-eye view


Erin with her cake!


Pretty slice!

2 comments:

Emily Rose said...

what a beautiful cake! I am starting to think about birthday cakes for my little girl- she's only 8 months old, so it;s a bit premature! I really love the cupcakes too!

~Kimberly said...

Adorable cake! and I love the cupcakes too!