Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TWD:BUTTERY JAM COOKIES

Heather of Randomosity and The Girl chose this week's TWD recipe: Buttery Jam Cookies. I'm not sure what I was expecting from this cookie. Perhaps a cookie made with lots of butter, sandwiched between some kind of jam--more like a linzer...? So, when I read through the recipe and saw that the apricot jam was to be mixed throughout the dough, I was obviously on the wrong track with my similar-to-a-linzer theory. Unfortunately, I have to say that this is the first Dorie recipe that I'm utterly disappointed in. Dorie, don't be mad. I have loved every single one of your recipes since I've started this fun group and this one just didn't make the cut. I guess that was bound to happen, right? I forgive you.
While this cookie combines the flavors of ginger and apricot jam, the taste was very bland and blah. I did everything in my power to salvage these cookies so I dipped them in melted butter and rolled them around a cinnamon and sugar mixture. End result: these were OK. On the upside, the cookies were a cinch to make and I'm sure would satisfy the "not-so-sweet tooth" kind of person. Check out Heather's blog for the recipe.

5 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

They actually sound wonderful, rolled in cinnamon-sugar. Sorry you weren't a big fan.

Megan said...

Great idea to roll them in cinnamon sugar. But I agree, they weren't anything special.

vibi said...

Mmmm... that cinnamon sugar in the raw, is calling my name! It still must have given much more perk to those otherwise, plain cookies!
Great idea, Melissa! Bravo!

Unknown said...

Wow, those are some fabulous pictures! I enjoyed the cookies plain but I bet they'd have been even better rolled in cinnamon sugar!

Leslie said...

I would eat my laptop if you dipped it in butter and tolled it in cinnamon sugar!! What a fabulous idea to rescue a disappointing cookie!