Thursday, December 4, 2008

TWD: TWOFER PIE

This TWD entry is about a week late but I was out of town for the holiday and hadn't gotten a chance to post! I left my camera USB cord at home and couldn't upload the pictures while I was away. The linzer sables will be posted tomorrow and then I'll finally be caught up! Anyway, on to the twofer pie. Vibi from La Casserole Carree chose this pie for our weekly Tuesday's With Dorie entry and I'm so glad she did. This is a dually flavorful pie containing a layer of pecan pie atop a layer of pumpkin pie all baked in Dorie's buttery flaky pie crust shell. I was able to knock off 2 pies for the price of one for Thanksgiving and everyone really enjoyed it. I found the crust to be super easy to work with. It's very pliable and doesn't crack or break. The last time I made Dorie's pie crust (her blueberry pie), the directions did not include putting the crust in the fridge after it had been rolled out to a 12 inch circle. However, this recipe indicated to do so and it made all the difference. From here on out, I'll roll out my pie dough, trim it to the appropriate diameter, then put it in the fridge to firm up for about 20 minutes. It really made my life a lot easier and relieved with my pie-rolling anxiety.
The pumpkin layer is all done in a food processor which made the labor and cleaning up a cinch and the pecan layer is a few ingredients whisked together in a bowl--also, very easy. Overall this pie was very good and I'd like to play around with it and create different layers other than pecan and pumpkin. The twofer pie is perfect for this time of year and I would encourage everyone to make it during the holiday season! You can find the recipe on Vibi's blog found here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of the most attractive Twofers yet! Nice job!