Wednesday, December 3, 2008

DEVIL DOG WHOOPIE PIES

OK, seriously....these were amazing!! They tasted exactly like the old school devil dogs with a homemade vibe. Oh how I LOVED devil dogs growing up. My mom packed my lunch box with 1 devil dog everyday for as long as I can remember and when I was given the opportunity to home-make these I was all over it! I got the recipe from joy of baking which is an excellent site for both basic and elaborate desserts. Every recipe I've ever made from this site has turned out fabulously. I made these for Thanksgiving to stray away from your typical pumpkin themed desserts for those who dislike pumpkin. Don't get me wrong, I made plenty of pumpkin desserts but I thought the kids in my family (by kids, I mean my little cousins) would enjoy these. The vanilla filling had a great texture and held it's shape without spilling over the edges; making it a messy-free cookie. The actual cookie and filling was so easy to make. I will most definitely be making these again, perhaps with a chocolate based filling. I'd also like to try these with a vanilla cookie and almond filling by adding a little almond extract. How about a chocolate cookie with mint filling? Yum. Please make these, you'll love them.
Recipe found here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious!

Beryl said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I grew up on these and no one sells them or has ever even heard of them out in LA LA land! I can't wait to make these!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those look awesome! I wonder how many I could eat.