Wednesday, December 10, 2008

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH COOKIES AND CREAM FROSTING

I made my boss a chocolate birthday cake (post to follow) and had some leftover batter, so I decided to make some cupcakes. I made a very basic vanilla buttercream and put about 8 or so Oreo's in my food processor-processed them until ground, then mixed them into the buttercream. What I'm about to say make shock most of you, but I'll be the first to admit that I used a partial cake mix recipe for the chocolate cake. My reasoning behind such madness is that I really had no time to put together an entire batter from scratch so I figured I'd give this recipe a try, on the rare occasion I need to whip something up in record timing. Well, this cake sure was good. It didn't taste cake-mixish at all and the consistency was that of a homemade cake, a.k.a. dense. It was very chocolatey and rich and paired beautifully with the buttercream. Obviously, I would take an actual cake made from scratch over this bad boy, however, this was a more than reasonable substitute for someone with very little time. Enjoy.
Wannabe Homemade Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 package Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
_________________________________
Buttercream Recipe found here + crushed Oreo's.
Combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips in a very large mixing bowl (there is a lot of batter so make sure you have a big enough bowl!). Beat until thick. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter in baking pans and set baking times according to the chart on the back of the box. Cool in pans then invert and let cool entirely on a wire rack. Ice and decorate at your own risk!

No comments: