Tuesday, July 1, 2008

TWD:APPLE CINNAMON SCONES

TWD: APPLE CINNAMON SCONES
Tuesday's are slowly becoming my favorite day of the week. For most, that day is Friday; leading up the to weekend, but I love TWD post days! OK, moving on. Karina of The Floured Apron picked apple cheddar scones for this week's recipe. I'm not going to lie, but the cheddar element really turned me off because (a) I don't like cheese and (b) apple and cheese together just doesn't really excite me whatsoever. So, instead, I made apple cinnamon scones to appease my taste buds. I added 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon for an extra kick. I also thew in a pinch of all spice.  
Instead of real apples, I used Granny Smith dried apples which really resembled crystallized ginger, only in apple form. I'm glad I bought 2 bags because I knocked off the first bag before I began baking. These dried sweet apples were so tasty and I felt like I was eating candy! I minced them up and threw them into the dough, which was super easy to handle and shape.  I created 2-6inch rounds and scored them into 6 "slices". These were good. I didn't go absolutely crazy for them because apparently I'm not a scones type of gal. My grandparents ate them for breakfast with jelly the last few days and loved them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Check out TWD blogroll here!

11 comments:

Susie Homemaker said...

I love seeing the hunks of apple in there...I bet they are great!

Pamela said...

They look really good. All of those apple chunks are quite appealing.

Megan said...

What a smokin' idea! I just might make them now - the whole cheddar/apple thing turned me off too.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I bet it was delicious with the cinnamon.

Christine said...

The chunks of apples and cinnamon delicious!

Anonymous said...

I made some of mine with cinnamon too (and no cheese). But they didn't come out as well as yours. Good job.

Anonymous said...

These sound really tasty. Good job!

Shari said...

Apple and cinnamon would be perfect in a scone!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jules Someone said...

Those look mighty tasty! I think I ate one apple slice for every one that I chopped.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Love your scones, the chunks of apple really look nice and I bet they tasted good too. I included the cheddar and while it was good, my husband has already put in a vote for an apple-spice-nut scone next time!

Mari said...

Your version sounds lovely too, nice job!