Monday, June 30, 2008

VANILLA CUPCAKES PART II

BATTLE OF THE VANILLA CUPCAKES: ROUND 2
Up next on the battle of the Vanilla cupcakes was Amy Sedaris' recipe. I made these yesterday within a matter of 25 minutes from beginning to end. I also halved this recipe, as I did Billy Reece's recipe last week.  I used Amy's suggestion for a butter cream frosting using half and half cream which came out really smooth and delicious. As for the actual vanilla cake, it was good. On a scale from 1-10 I would probably give it a 7. As for the consistency and texture, it was very similar to Billy's recipe, however lacked in taste. I felt that Billy's cake was sweeter and more delicious than Amy's.  Apparently the video below begs to differ.....

Synopsis: Judson throws a cupcake tantrum yesterday in my kitchen. He was a big fan of Amy's cupcakes..

Amy Sedaris' Cupcakes

(Makes 24 cupcakes but I halved the recipe in red)
1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter (3/4 c butter=6 Tablespoons)
1 ¾ cups of sugar (3/4 c + 2 Tablespoons)

Beat well, then add:

Add 2 large eggs (1 egg)
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla (1 teaspoon)
½ teaspoon of salt (1/4 teaspoon)
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder (1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon)
2 ½ cups of flour (1 cup + 1/4 cups flour)
1 ¼ cups of milk (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. 

Frosting (I didn't halve this but just spooned the leftovers into my mouth instead, ha-I'm gross!)

1 stick of unsalted butter
1 box of Domino confectionery sugar
¼ cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla

No comments: