Monday, June 2, 2008

MUFFINS

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I've been all about super sweet baked goods lately and wanted to change it up a bit. Every Sunday I go to my local diner for brunch and every breakfast dish comes with a toasted Lo-Fat Blueberry muffin, which I honestly look forward to weekly. Why can I only have that on Sundays? Well, last night I put that to an end! I decided to make my own blueberry muffins to have for breakfast for the week. I have a toaster oven at work where I carefully slice off the top of the muffin and toast both the top and bottom, spread some jam on it, and wallah! There is just enough crumb topping that it's not overbearing making it totally suitable for breakfast. I got the recipe from Blake Makes, my new favorite foodie blog found here.
These are really simple and good if you're looking to fulfill your Sunday ritual of a toasted blueberry muffin during the week :)

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

makes 12 muffins

The wet ingredients:

  • 6 tblsp. unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract


The dry ingredients: (sift all together)

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt

Mix the wet into the dry, but only just until it’s combined. If you over mix them, they’ll be too dense (and you want them to be nice and tender).

Lastly, fold in 2 cups (my cups are heaping, so it’s more like 2 1/2 cups) fresh blueberries.

The crumble:

  • 3 tblsp. unsalted butter (cold & cubed)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 tblsp. sugar

Mix these three ingredients together with your fingers. Really get in there and smudge the cold butter into the flour and sugar. You’re looking for a crumbly consistency.

Generously cover the tops of the muffins with the crumble and slid them into a 375 degree over for 30 minutes (check at 20).

No comments: