Friday, July 18, 2008

S'MORE CRISPS

Marshmallows. Chocolate. Graham Crackers. 'Nuff said?

Three ingredients uniting together to create a sublime flavor so good that it causes your taste buds to do flips! Super S'More Crisps is what Elinor Klivans likes to call these bad boys. I got the recipe from her book, Big Fat Cookies, and thought they would be the perfect treat for a friend's BBQ tomorrow. S'mores are a classic treat for summer BBQ's and rather than making actual S'mores using whole graham crackers, whole squares of chocolate, and a jumbo marshmallow all to be roasted over a fire, I thought these cookies would suffice. This was a very crispy cookie with loads of chocolate packed in. Three cups of graham crackers are added to the recipe creating a thick dough and lastly, the marshmallows, once baked, carmelize giving a crunchy toffee-type of taste. Rather than dolloping on the chocolate coating I took a pastry bag, cut a small hole at the tip, and zig-zagged the chocolate on. I also used semi-sweet AND milk chocolate chips to vary the taste a bit. These are so good! I would encourage everyone to make this creative take on S'mores!
Dough...

Cookies ready for the oven...

Wallah!
INGREDIENTS: (my changes in red)
3/4 C. unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 C. sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 C. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 C. milk chocolate chips (about 8 1/2 ounces) (I used 1 cup milk chocolate, 1/2 cup semi-sweet)
1 1/2 C. miniature marshmallows  (I threw in an extra handful)

CHOCOLATE COATING:
6 ounces (generous 1 cup) milk chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet) or milk chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon canola or corn oil

Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the over to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (I didn't have anymore parchment paper left so I sprayed the pans with PAM and they didn't stick--they came out perfect)

MAKE THE COOKIES: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until smoothly blended, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until blended, about 1 minute. On low speed, mix in the graham cracker crumbs, flour and salt until a soft dough forms that come away from the sides of the bowl. Mix in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.

Using an ice cream scoop or a measuring cup with a 1/4 cup capacity, scoop portions of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, placing them 4 inches apart. Flatten each cookie slightly to about 3/4 inch thick.

Bake one sheet at a time until the tops feel firm and the marshmallows near the edges of the cookies have melted and become clear and carmelized, about 15 minutes. (Some of the marshmallows in the center will remain white.) Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to wire rack to cool.

MAKE THE CHOCOLATE COATING: Put the milk chocolate and oil in a heatproof container or the top of a double boiler and place it over, but not touching, a saucepan of barely simmering water (or the bottom of a double boiler). Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from the water and let cool and thicken slightly, 15 to 20 minutes.

Use a small spoon to drizzle the chocolate coating over the cooled cookies. (I used a pastry bag, cut a hole at the tip and zig-zagged the chocolate on). Leave the cookies at room temperature until the chocolate is firm, about 1 hour. Or refrigerate the cookies for about 15 minutes.

The cookies can be individually wrapped in plastic wrap an stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look so good. I made the chocolate chip caramel coffee cake you posted awhile back and it was delish!

PS I am tagging you for a new meme. The details are at my blog. Have fun.

Passionate Baker said...

yummmm...these look SO good.
i looove anything with smores, im constantly making new recipes that include them.
I'm definitely going to try this!
thankssss!
<3

Anonymous said...

Recently I made homemade S'mores (I made the crackers and the marshmallows) and I'm going to soon post it in my blog (whenever I get the damn wire that connects the camera with the computer). May I link this recipe to my post? :D If you have time, leave a me a comment on my blog with your answer.
Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Tag! You're it. Check out my blog. Just ignore if you don't want to participate. I'm just passing it on. :)

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your adapted s'more crisp recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Mmmmm, sounds good, especially the marshmallows that turn toffee-ish!

I've seen another recipe for s'mores cookies that have you add the marshmallows when the cookies are half way baked. I haven't made them yet. Cookies always seem like a lot of work with little payback.
~ingrid