Monday, April 20, 2009

PB&J CUPCAKES


I went to my bosses house on Saturday to spend the day with his wife and kids which included lots of little league games! The weather was perfect and I had such a great time being back on the baseball fields. Of course I would never come empty handed so I brought some peanut butter and jelly cupcakes along. More often than not, kids love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches so I figured I couldn't go wrong with these....plus, there were no peanut allergies present. Score 1 for me.

This cupcake consisted of a yellow based cake with a peanut butter cream cheese frosting and filled with strawberry and/or grape jelly. I drizzled some strawberry/grape syrup on top for an extra fruity burst. I halved the recipe which gave me 7 regular sized cupcakes; one of which I put to the side for my own personal enjoyment. Let me tell you, these were fantastic. The yellow cake meshes perfectly with the jelly and peanut butter. Cream cheese peanut butter frosting has got to be my most favorite frosting on this planet. It's too good to be true.

I baked these cupcakes as is and changed nothing. The only thing I'd change for next time (and there will be a next time) is making a full batch of these rather than half. The kids absolutely loved these!

PBJ Cupcakes From Buttercup Bakes At Home
- makes 12 to 14 cupcakes -
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs, room temperature

3/4 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup grape jelly

Chunky Peanut Butter Frosting (recipe follows)

Coarsely chopped peanuts or crushed peanut butter cups, for garnish

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake papers.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until well incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the milk. Add the vanilla.

4. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups until each is about two-thirds full. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

5. When cupcakes are thoroughly cool, fill a squeeze bottle with jelly, and then invert the tip of the bottle into the center of a cooled cupcake. Carefully squeeze about 1 tablespoon jelly into center of cupcake. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Frost with Chunky Peanut Butter Frosting, and garnish with roasted salted peanuts or crushed peanut butter cups.


Chunky Peanut Butter Frosting
- makes 2 1/2 cups (enough to frost 14 cupcakes) -

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened

3/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I used creamy peanut butter)

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

2 cups confectioners' sugar

1/2 tablespoon milk (a few drops more if needed)

Procedure
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter, and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.

2. On low speed, slowly add 1 cup sugar, then a few drops milk. Increase mixer speed to medium-high, and mix thoroughly. Add remaining sugar and a few more drops milk if necessary.

3. Increase mixer speed to high, and mix until frosting is fluffy and reaches a good spreading consistency. Use immediately.


4 comments:

SleightGirl said...

Mmmmm! How yummy! I've made pb and J cheesecake before, but the cupcakes sound even better!

Monica H said...

I love PB and J! I think I'd make these, only I'd use my all time favorite- Plum Jam...mmm!

Anonymous said...

Yum! These look awesome!

Peanut Butter Jo said...

You just may be the most wonderful peanut in the world!