Wednesday, April 15, 2009

MARSHMALLOW TWIST CUPCAKES (KOSHER FOR PASSOVER)


We still have 2 more days of Passover and I wanted to appease all my Jewish friends (including myself) who are keeping passover with these marshmallow twist cuppies! Passover desserts are weak. They are unappealing, boring, and tasteless. The very site of passover "cake" sends me running for the hills. They give me nightmares.

But not these. Oh no. These cupcakes are more like a Passover dream come true. These cupcakes make observing Passover something you want to do for more than just 8 days. These super chocolaty flour less cupcakes have a gooey marshmallow meringue frosting that makes your taste buds do flips. They are all garnished with a chocolate covered marshmallow twist and some chocolate flakes for good measure.

This flour less chocolate cake was a new recipe I tried. Rather than using 1lb of chocolate and mixing it with eggs, sugar, and butter; this recipe calls for 8oz of chocolate and 1 cup of cocoa powder. I used my very best Valrhona bittersweet bar chocolate as well as my Valrhona unsweetened cocoa powder. Needless to say, these were expensive cupcakes that were worth every penny. Passover season or not, these are a keeper all year round.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
{Makes about 16-19 regular sized cupcakes}

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 1/2 cups) (I used Valrhona Bittersweet)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter spring form pan (or make cupcakes, like I did). Line bottom with waxed paper. Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted. Mix sugar and cocoa in large bowl. Add eggs; whisk until well blended. Whisk in chocolate-butter mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Marshmallow Meringue Frosting:
{Makes enough for 24 cupcakes so you will have some leftover. You can use the extra as a filling!}

8 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes.


Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix until combined. Use immediately.

4 comments:

A Little Sugar said...

OH MY.....passover or not..these look fit for any day/occassion! Beautiful pics and not just 'cause I'm hungry.
Please tell me where you get those beautiful cc liners that don't transmute into greasy paper after baking??
Nice work!

Teanna said...

Those look absolutely AMAZING! I am putting this on my list of Passover recipes to impress my boyfriend's family!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Those are great looking cuppies!

I've got to say I'm more a frosting gal that a cake one especially when it's a marshmallow one!

I'm on to your blondie post next! Blondies are a fave!
~ingrid

Unknown said...

These are FANTASTIC! We have made them for the last three Passover Seders and they have been a HUGE hit each time. They are completely delicious. We made a second batch without icing as mini cupcakes and we called them brownies. We ate them all over the place.