Monday, May 12, 2008

CHIPSTERS

SO YOU'RE SAYING IT'S A COOKIE, ON TOP OF A BROWNIE?
TRUE STORY, FOLKS.
I was up early on Saturday and got a lot of my errands and the gym done before noon, which, by the way, is an extreme rarity for me considering I don't open my eyes until at least noon on a weekend--and by at least, I mean more like 2pm.  Yes, I heart sleep. Since I got the puppies, however, I have been up super early so I'm able to get up and get out at a decent time leaving me lots of free time in the late afternoons to experiment and bake.  On Saturday, I baked my Tuesday's With Dorie entry for this week which involved lots of freezer time so I thought I'd make something while I waited for my pie to set.  I figured since I already had Dorie Greenspan's book ("Baking: From My Home To Yours") open on my countertop I would look through the "Cache of Cookies" section.  As I flipped through, I came across Chipsters, as pictured above and below. Basically this recipe consists of brownie batter topped off with chocolate chip cookie dough batter. It doesn't get any more simple than that. I'm not sure why they are called Chipsters as I feel that perhaps "brookies" would be more appropriate. Brownie+Cookie=Brookie..?! Any takers? Anyway, these were nothing special although still very tasty.  The cookie layer on top thickens while baking creating a great rich cookie crust. I would have preferred the brownie layer to have been less dense/dry and more cake-ier but there was so much chocolate throughout that it kind of made up for it. I even added chocolate chips to the top. I would also most definitely pair these bad boys up with vanilla ice cream next time.

Chipster-Topped Brownies
From: Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan

For the brownie layer:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 2/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped

For the cookie layer:
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup (packed) light brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or 1 cup store-bought chocolate chips
*I sprinkled an extra cup of chocolate chips on top of the cookie layer*

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-x-13-inch baking pan, line it with wax or parchment paper and butter the paper. Put the pan on a baking sheet.

To make the brownie batter: Put both chocolates and the butter in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stirring occasionally, heat just until the ingredients are melted, shiny and smooth. If the mixture gets too hot, the butter will separate from the chocolates. Remove the bowl from the heat.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until pale, thick and creamy. Beat in the salt and vanilla extract. Reduce the speed to low and mix in the melted chocolate and butter, mixing only until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then, still on low speed, add the flour, mixing only until it disappears into the batter. Using the spatula, fold in the walnuts, and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Set aside.

To make the cookie dough: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Working with a stand mixer in the cleaned bowl or with the hand mixer in another large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. One at a time, add the egg and the yolk, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the dough. Still on low, mix in the chopped chocolate. Drop the cookie dough by spoonfuls over the brownie batter an, using a spatula and a light touch, spread it evenly over the batter.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cookie top is deep golden brown and firm and a thin knife inserted into the brownie layer comes out with only faint streaks of moist chocolate. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool to room temperature.

When the brownies are completely cool, carefully run a knife between the sides of the pan and the brownies, then invert them onto another rack, remove the paper and turn right side up onto a cutting board. Cut into bars about 2 inches by 1 inch. (You can cut larger bars if you’re serving to cookie lovers with Texas-size appetites.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I've made these as well, and they are just amazing! BTW, how do you get your dogs to let you sleep in? I'm desperate for them to let me sleep in past 5:15!

Melissa said...

I start training them early on to hold it in for long periods of time!! They know that their mommy needs her sleep!! By the time they are older they are just accustomed to sleeping in late!

Anonymous said...

These really are The Cat's Pajamas...