Friday, May 9, 2008

BANANA CUPCAKES

BONKERS FOR BANANA BREAD
OK, I've officially fallen off my rocker. I am so obsessed with the banana bread that I made last week, found here, that I absolutely had to make it again. My poor excuse: "I have several bananas that aren't going to be eaten and are at optimal ripeness for banana bread." Weak, I know. Anyway, moving on...Sooooooo, I decided to switch it up a little bit and make this baking venture a tad more interesting. I made the exact same batter as last week with only one exception; the amounts of mini chocolate chips that were packed into this batter was complete and utter insanity. I must have used 1 1/2 bags, as I didn't even measure because I was in crazy chip-happy mode. Rather than making loaves or using 9 inch round pans like last week, I decided to create mini muffins, medium sized muffins, and a bundt cake. Yes, I realize that seems like a whole lot, however, this recipe is HUGE and made enough for 12 mini muffins, 6 medium to large muffins, and filled an entire bundt pan.  
I also did not use the White Chocolate cream cheese icing. Instead, I created my own frosting which came out so creamy and delicious.  It had a kick to it, as it consisted of nutmeg and honey, and it was the perfect compliment to the muffins.
 
Honey Butter Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup of butter, softened
3 Tablespoons of Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg+ a little extra pinch
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened *next time I may knock it down to 6oz*
2 Cups Confectioners Sugar *Add more or less depending on the type of consistency you're looking for*
1-3 Tablespoons Milk (optional) *also depends on consistency you're looking for*
Mix butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until well blended and smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. If you are looking for a looser type of frosting then add milk.                                                          
This banana bread is like a five tool player in baseball;while it doesn't excel in hitting for average, hitting for power, base running skills, throwing and fielding ability, it does, however, excel in taste, versatility, reliability ,consistency, and simplicity. I dare you to try it...







No comments: