Friday, May 23, 2008

CASHEW BARS

SWEET-N-SALTY BUTTERSCOTCH CASHEW BARS
I LOVE cashews. Bottom line, they are my most favorite nut of all the nuts in the land!! I'm a total cashew freak. I keep salted cashews in my freezer at all times--they are so good super cold!  When I saw this recipe on Bake or Break, I knew right away that I had to make them and they completely satisfy the requirements of my new finger food kick that I'm on. These contain the most perfect compliment of saltiness and sweetness-a combination that can't be beat. The crust is that of a very crunchy shortbread-type crust, topped with caramelized butterscotch and big salted cashews.  These are very easy to make and require a very strong arm for cutting so make sure you save some energy for this portion! 
Again, I can't reiterate enough how delicious these are. The crust is super super crunchy and thick and the caramelized butterscotch is so sticky and sweet. If you like nuts half as much as me, you will go gaga for this recipe. 
  • INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 11 ounces butterscotch chips
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon water
  • 2 cups roasted salted whole cashews


Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9″x 13″ pan with cooking spray. Using two sheets of parchment paper, line the pan’s width and length, creating a parchment “sling.” Spray parchment paper with cooking spray.

Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt for 1 to 1 & 1/2 minutes. Decrease mixer speed to low and add the flour. Mix just until combined. Lightly press dough evenly into the prepared pan. Poke holes in the dough with a fork. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is a golden color. Remove to wire rack to cool.

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, stir together butterscotch chips, corn syrup, and water. Stir until mixture comes to a simmer and butterscotch chips are melted. Pour over crust.

Sprinkle cashews over the butterscotch caramel. Bake for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. After cooling, remove from pan and use a very sharp knife to cut into bars.

Makes 2 dozen 2-inch bars.


1 comment:

Jacque said...

Mmmm, those DO look good! I love cashews too, although they rival pistachios as my favorite nut.

Thanks for sharing!