Thursday, May 21, 2009

ICE 10:SUN DRIED TOMATO HUMMUS AND PITA CUPCAKES

I've got to make this short and sweet. It has been a very busy holiday weekend and I don't have too much time to divulge into this month's Iron Cupcake Earth; ingredient: SAVORY.

I tried to think of my most favorite food that would convert nicely into a cupcake. For anyone who knows me, hummus and pita are my absolute favorite! I can literally eat hummus plain, all day long.  There's nothing like homemade hummus with warm pita pockets nearby. Mmmm.

So, with that said, I've created a cornbread cupcake studded with sun dried tomato chunks, topped with a sun dried tomato hummus buttercream and a mini pita pocket and sun dried tomato chip for garnish.  I used this cornbread recipe and made 12 cupcakes.  I chopped up sun dried tomatoes from this great gourmet market near me and created my own sun dried tomato hummus buttercream by starting out with your basic buttercream recipe and adding 3/4 c. of hummus.

Voting begins on Saturday May 30th and noon and will continue through Friday June 5th at No One Puts Cupcake In A Corner.  

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus and Pita Cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Put in chopped sun dried tomatoes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Sun Dried Tomato Hummus Buttercream

1 stick butter, at room temperature
3 c. confectioner's sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
1/2 c. hummus
chopped sun dried tomatoes

Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add confectioner's sugar and beat well.  Add in milk until desired consistency. Beat in hummus and sun dried tomatoes.
Our May ETSY PRIZE-PACK is from artists:
Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers: HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS,http://www.fiestaproducts.com, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com, JESSIE STEELE APRONS http://www.jessiesteele.com; TASTE OF HOME books, http://www.tasteofhome.com; a t-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM http://www.upwithcupcakes.com/. Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers,http://www.1800flowers.com . 







 

3 comments:

vibi said...

How intriguing, how creative and original... hummm... funny how calling them cupcakes makes it soooood different than if they were muffins!

Interesting!

Snooky doodle said...

what an interesting cupcake :) yummy You have my vote! I like hummus too.

Mermaid Sews said...

I am bookmarking this - these are some of my favorite flavors, this would be AWESOME as minis at a dinner party as an app. THANKS