Saturday, August 1, 2009

PUFF PASTRY FUN

Well, I just finished my second module of culinary school:bread and pastries. I can't believe how quickly the time has passed! I'm so psyched for the next module which begins Monday; Cakes!!!A big chunk of this module was dedicated to classic puff pastry which is totally awesome and very different from what I've ever done. I've never made puffed pastry before this and boy is it a fun dough to work with. It allows for sooooo much creativity and it tastes pretty darn delicious, especially when paired with the right fillings, pastry creams, fruits, etc. However, the one downfall of puffed pastry is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to prepare. It requires double turns (the lamination process), resting periods, more double turns, then the sheeting process all before it is even put in the oven. I now realize why and how puffed pastry is so expensive in bakeries and rightfully so due to the extreme labor and expense that is put into it. Below is a whole bunch of puffed pastry recipes that I made this past module.
Fresh Fruit Strip
Napoleon
Apple Tart
Spanakopita using Phyllo dough filled with feta, ricotta, spinach & dill

2 comments:

Monica H said...

Awesome! I'll have one of each please!

"E" Street said...

Amazing! The pastries are beautiful and I would say that you are an artist! Congratulations on work well done - I can't wait to see what you do with the cakes!