Wednesday, July 9, 2008

REJECTION CAKE

BIRTHDAY CAKE!
As mentioned in my earlier posts, my cousin is a writer, comedian, and producer living and performing in New York. He is the creator/producer of the NYC cult hit show, The Rejection Show, as well as the New York City Beard & Moustache ChampionshipsThe Delicious Sandwich Social,The ECNY Awards and many other popular live events. Tonight is the season finale of the Rejection Show and he asked me to bake a birthday cake for one of the many performers at tonight's show. Naturally I agreed in a heartbeat and got to work. This was a 2 day process as all layer cakes should be. From here on out I will bake the cakes/layers on day 1, wrap it up in plastic wrap and freeze overnight. Day 2 will involve the decorating. Anyway, while brainstorming, I knew I wanted to involve Billy's Vanilla Vanilla cupcake recipe, but in cake form, found here. These cupcakes were just too damn delicious to not use as my basic "go-to" vanilla cake. 
Since I was unable to take a picture of a slice of the cake, (it would be rude to bring an already-eaten cake!) above is a picture of the 4 layers with pink special vanilla buttercream in between. Since the birthday is celebrated by a woman I thought I'd throw in a touch of pink! After the show tonight I will try to snap a few pictures of a slice! 
I frosted the entire cake with the most amazing Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I really don't like buttercream at all. I think it's way too thick, sweet, and is only good for piping, in my opinion. However, the SMBC is seriously outrageous. It's silky and smooth and finishes off a cake so glamorously. It tastes amazing also! Despite taking more time to prepare than regular old buttercream, it's very well worth it. Trust me! The added Nutella gave it a chocolaty-almond taste which was ridiculously delicious.  I peaked the top of the cake and sprinkled chocolate flakes. I really can't wait to taste this cake tonight! I'll give ya'll an update tomorrow; hopefully with a few cross-section pictures. Happy birthday Michelle!
Boxed up and ready to go!

Special Buttercream Frosting 
(I halved this recipe since I only needed enough buttercream to frost in between the layers- my changes are in red)
2 cups Butter Flavored Crisco ( you can use regular shortening)
1 cup Crisco 
8 cups confectioner's sugar
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp Salt
2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
1 tsp Vanilla
6 fluid ounces heavy cream 
3 oz heavy cream

1. Cream shortening until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
2. Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream if necessary (up to 2 ounces).
3. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy


Nutella Swiss Meringue Buttercream
(adapted from How To Eat A Cupcake)

Makes about 4 cups (enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes or, in my case, 2-9inch rounds)

4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened, cut into tablespoons
1/2 jar of Nutella (about 1/2 - 2/3 cup)


Put egg whites and sugar into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees). Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes total. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add Nutella a few tablespoons at a time and continue beating until incorporated.

2 comments:

Mari said...

That cake makes me want to lick my monitor! It's gorgeous!

Alex English said...

That cake looks delicious! Great blog by the way!