Tuesday, June 17, 2008

PASTRY RING


TWD: CREAM PUFF RING
Well, it's that time again; another post for Tuesday's With Dorie. This weeks recipe, Peppermint Cream Puff Ring, was chosen by Caroline of a Consuming Passion. While this recipe was extremely interesting, it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. I have never made anything pastry-related before so that was a plus, but the result was hardly excitable and nothing for me to be proud of. Actually, I'm slightly embarrassed of how ugly this came out!! 
Peppermint has the tendency to be a tough sell, so I swapped the peppermint cream for Dorie's chocolate pastry cream thinking that I couldn't go wrong with creating an all-chocolate themed pastry ring. I added chocolate flakes and chips to the top and omitted the almonds. Based on my co-worker's "ooooh's and aaaaah's" reaction, they enjoyed it but I thought the actual pastry was tasteless. All in all I'm happy Caroline picked this recipe because it gave me the opportunity to experiment with puffed pastry while also giving me the confidence to pursue it in the future. Check out the TWD blogroll for my other fellow TWD'ers pastry creations! I'm looking forward to next week's Mixed Berry Cobbler chosen by Beth of Our Sweet Life.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't turn out quite as you hoped, but it looks great!

LyB said...

All that chocolate has got me craving some cream puffs! It looks delicious!

Engineer Baker said...

Just think of it as cream puff = vehicle for ice cream, pastry cream, and whipped cream goodness :)

Prudy said...

I like the filling and glaze much better than the pastry myself-be it eclairs or cake!

Unknown said...

It looks delectable! You should try Chocolate mint next time. It's very good.

Anonymous said...

With all of that yummy chocolate, who cares about the pastry!

Susie Homemaker said...

girl...it's all about the filling - and yours looks yyyyummmyyy. great job!

Anonymous said...

You are right - the pastry is tasteless, that's what the filling is for - and judging from yours, since you didn't like it, would you send it to me?

Heather B said...

Look at all that chocolate! yum! Great job!

Anne said...

Wow, chocolate/chocolate looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

THIS was your first experience with pastry? Wow! Excellent job.

Annemarie said...

Chocolate can DEFINITELY make up for ANY imperfections!!

Bumblebutton said...

It really does look impressive, despite your misgivings. We agree about the pastry itself though! Pastry cream is another story altogether--especially chocolate! Nice job!

ostwestwind said...

The tasteless pastry is only the excuse to use lots of filling :-). The chocolate ring looks delicious

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Wow, that's a lot of chocolate! I think the pastry is just a delivery mechanism for the chocolate. Looks delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jules Someone said...

Holy smokes does that look chocolatety! And good!

Christine said...

Great job on your first experience with pastry! I am in chocolate heaven!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Shari said: I think the pastry is just a delivery mechanism for the chocolate!


Shari, that's such a good way to explain it!

Jaime said...

i love your chocolate rosettes w/in the cream puff ring - great job challenging yourself with a new technique :)