Monday, April 6, 2009

TWD:BANANA CREAM PIE


Amy of Sing for Your Supper selected this weeks TWD recipe; banana cream pie. I am a huge fan of banana cream pie so naturally I was excited to make this. On my way home from work last week, I stopped off at my corner fruit stand and bought the most gorgeous bananas. 8 bananas for $1.50, what a bargain! I've made banana cream pies before, found here, but Dorie's pie is oh so different. Dorie's pie filling consists of spiced caramel-like flavorings including cinnamon and nutmeg, and lots of brown sugar.

The sliced bananas are spread throughout the filling and the whipped cream topping has a touch of sour cream in it; which I thoroughly enjoyed. I did make one alteration to this pie, and that was the crust. I was really in the mood for a crispy crunchy graham cracker crust rather than good ol' pie crust so I went with that. This pie was seriously fantastic and definitely tasted different than other banana cream pies that I've made. It seemed more classic and authentic and the not-to-sweet whipped topping really enhanced the fillings flavors. This is a pie I most certainly will make again. Check out Amy's blog for the delicious recipe.

10 comments:

Marthe said...

Glad you liked the pie, I was a bit dissappointed...

Amanda said...

I really liked this too! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Megan said...

That's one thing I miss about the city - the stands with all the amazing fruit!

The Food Librarian said...

This is so beautiful! What a great topping!

Jules Someone said...

That looks just lovely! Glad you liked it so much.

chocolatechic said...

Your topping is just so beautiful.

Cali Cakes said...

Oh geez...that looks amazing!

Teanna said...

So glad you loved this one! And what a bargain on those bananas! You can get the best deal at those little fruit stands!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

This is gorgeous! Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for baking with me this week!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

TeaLady said...

And yours looks seriously good. Yummy!