Friday, December 25, 2009


Wow, I've been making a ton of cheesecakes lately. There's nothing like digging your fork into a cold, creamy cheesecake with a crunchy crust. It's official, cheesecake is by far my most favorite dessert. I love to make them and I love eating them even more!

My boyfriends brother celebrated a birthday a few weeks ago and rather than baking your traditional classic birthday cake, I went with a Reeses peanut butter birthday cheesecake. This cheesecake was unreal. The peanut butter flavor wasn't overly strong and the Oreo cookie crust made for a perfect cheesecake foundation. The chocolate ganache layer on top really put this cheesecake over the edge as my most favorite cheesecake, to date.
This recipe fills is designed to fill a 10 inch springform pan, however, I only had a 9 inch so I had some extra batter leftover which I used to make mini peanut butter cup cheesecakes. Since my boyfriends family are die-hard Tennessee Volunteer fans, I stuck these cute little Vols picks in each mini. They were a huge hit.

Please note that you should plan a day ahead when making this cheesecake. It requires a lot of chilling time and I always find that leaving a cheesecake to chill in the fridge overnight produces the best results.

For The Crust

For The Filling

For The Topping

5 ounces milk chocolate chips
1/4 c. sour cream
  1. Please Note****Plan ahead--cheesecake needs to chill for at least 4 hours.
  2. To Make The Crust:.
  3. Combine crushed Oreo cookies and peanuts that have been ground in a food processor with the melted butter.
  4. Pat the crust mixture onto bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
  5. To Make The Filling:.
  6. Beat cream cheese in bowl of electric mixer until smooth.
  7. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  8. Add sugar, peanut butter and cream; mix until smooth.
  9. Stir in vanilla, then fold in peanut butter cup pieces with a rubber spatula.
  10. Pour filling into prepared crust.
  11. Place springform pan into a larger baking pan.
  12. Pour hot water into the larger pan so that the water comes 1 inch up the sides of the springform pan.
  13. Bake at 275°F 1-1/2 hours, or until firm and lightly browned.'
  14. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for one hour
  15. you may run a knife along the edge of the cake to loosen it from the pan somewhat.
  16. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is your best bet)
  17. For The Topping:.
  18. In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and sour cream, stirring constantly. Spread over cheesecake and return it to the refrigerator to set up.


cookies and cups said...

That sounds amazing!

Tia said...

wow. what a stunner!

Anonymous said...

This cheesecake looks so good! I want to take the mini ones to a gathering and I am wondering about the chocolate topping you used. Is it the chocolate-sour cream mixture piped on or something else? Thank you!


Andrew's Mom said...

OMG - I am so making this. It looks absolutely spectacular!


brian said...

yummy i love reeses peanut butter cups. I Love peanut butter!