Monday, November 10, 2008

Lemon-Lime Bars

I got this new book and let me tell you, folks...it is AWESOME! I would encourage each and every one of you to go out and buy it because it is well worth your bucks!  Now, this book I speak of is called Baked and it is a compilation of recipes sold in their incredible Brooklyn bakery called, well, Baked. I've read this book cover to cover and back again and tagged so many recipes that I honestly didn't know where to start. 
 
First up were these lemon-lime bars.  I'm such a lemon/lime-aholic so I figured this would be a great place to start, considering I will literally be baking everything this book has to offer. The recipes range from butterscotch pudding mini tarts (can't wait to make these!!) to rainbow cookies (definitely making these!!) to the most gorgeous German chocolate and Malt Ball cakes (obviously making these too!!).  Anyway, one at a time here people!!! 
These lemon-lime bars were as luscious and delicious as they look/sound.  I absolutely love the taste of a cool tarty creamy treat with a crunchy crust and this recipe does wonders for that combination. The crust is a combination of graham cracker crumbs and toasted coconut while the filling is made up of lemon and lime zest, fresh lemon and lime juices, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla.  This is a fairly easy recipe to whip up, however the chilling requires some time. You do not want to take these out of the fridge too early because they will be gooey and messy. You want your filling to be firm but slightly giggly. Once the bars were cooled and set, I decided to go the extra mile and pipe some meringue stars and swirls on top.  This idea was fueled by my overwhelming desire to bust out my mini kitchen blow torch which I enjoy using so much! As a finished product, these bars were so fantastic! They were creamy and crunchy in one bite and I got excellent feedback on them. I will post the recipe as soon as I can!

2 comments:

Emily Rose said...

wow these sound amazing- I love the idea of combining the lemon and lime- I bet you could do any citrus combo. I am also drooling at the idea of coconut in the graham crust- genius! I think I'm going to have to put this book on my wish list for Christmas!!

The Food Librarian said...

Melissa, you rock! These look great!!! And I too love the torch (I use one from Home Depot that can probably weld my house together too...kinda scary and yet so fun!) ;) I have my eye on this book and you sealed it - I'm buying it!