Monday, June 15, 2009

PEANUT BRITTLE

I LOVE PEANUT BRITTLE.

......that's all for today. 
Thank you.

Peanut Brittle from Food Network

Ingredients 

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I omitted)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cups roasted salted peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

Combine the water, sugar, cream of tartar and corn syrup in a medium-size heavy saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Bring to a boil over medium heat. After it boils, stir the mixture occasionally. Boil the mixture until it reaches 340 degrees F. The color should be deep golden brown. Remove from the heat and, working quickly, stir in the cinnamon with a wooden spoon. Stir in the butter until melted, then the peanuts and baking soda.

Pour the mixture onto the oiled cookie sheet with sides and spread it out a bit with the back of a wooden spoon, to about 1/4-inch thickness (it may not fill the whole pan). Let harden, uncovered, in a cool place, 30 to 45 minutes. (To wash the saucepan, soak it overnight.)

Using your hands, and wearing cotton or plastic gloves if desired to keep off any fingerprints, break the brittle into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh this looks fantastic! I have never made peanut brittle, but I love it. I am going to have to make a batch. Maybe it will go on my holiday goodie list!

Jelli said...

Right now I'm wishing I had a candy thermometer!