Thursday, May 13, 2010

60TH BIRTHDAY CAKE!

Photobucket
My dear friend asked if I would make her boyfriend's mother's 60th birthday cake! Lets be honest--I cannot turn down any opportunity to bake a cake. I heart cake-making! While this cake was designated to feed 12-15 people, it could have EASILY fed 40+. This guy was huuuuge; consisting of three tall 10inch round layers of devils food cake with silky chocolate buttercream sandwiched between and accompanied by gum paste flowers for garnish.
Photobucket
Believe it or not, I actually had some extra batter to spare so I made a half dozen jumbo cupcakes with the same chocolate buttercream as the cake and pretty pastel fondant flowers. The cake + cupcakes were a huge hit! I'm pretty sure that cake will stick around for a while! There's nothing like busting out a slice of cake from the freezer for a late night snack.

No comments: